Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Surgery went well.  We got home late last night pretty worn out.  I would have updated you sooner, but the laptop decided not to work again!  I was about ready to chuck it out the 5th story window of the hospital let me tell ya!  There was some good news and not so good news.  The bone graft went well and they feel like it will be good.  We weren't sure what to expect with the recovery of this but, it's been a little tougher than he thought.  The donor site was his right hip and it's causing him quite a bit of pain.  It also has to hold all of his weight because the left leg is still no weight bearing so it's making it very difficult for him to move and get around.  He had gotten to where he was getting around pretty good so he doesn't like being down again.  It shouldn't take too long to heal, though.  They weren't able to fix his knee.  The tissue in his thigh is attaching to the rod they put in and so it's causing his knee not to bend.  They decided to wait to fix it because they worried if they did it now it might attach again so he will have to have surgery on that in about 6 wks or so.  He was kinda frustrated about that, but it'll be ok.  He has made a lot of progress and so we start to think he's almost out of the woods, but then we're reminded that it's just going to be a long process.  They're not just dealing with one injury, there are multiple injuries.  So we just have to take a deep breath and take it step at a time.  He will get there, it will just take a while.  We go back to Columbia in 2 wks for lots of xrays as they will monitor the healing of this very closely.  In the meantime, we're gonna get ready for Thanksgiving and enjoy the fact that he's home and not in the hospital!  I like to think that we're usually very mindful of the things were grateful for, but this season will be even more so.  We're thankful for life, for time together, for God's healing, and for family and friends who have walked alongside us during this journey and helped carry the load when it seemed too big .  I guess that's what it means when it says, "In all things, give thanks."  Even in the midst of tragedy and hardships, there are so many things we have to be thankful for.  We love you all ~

1 comment:

  1. Jenni, Dan, Beth and Boys...We are continuing to pray hard for complete healing. This is a journey. Some day, it will seem like a blip on a screen. I told you the other day, but I want to say it again...maybe better//without crying: You all have been so instrumental in our journeys, too. You have hundreds of eyes watching you. We all keep thinking if you guys can handle this with such courage and grace, that God's grace is sufficient for all of us, too...to deal with whatever is making our hearts ache or our loads a little heavy. You will never know the number of lives you have touched. When I was going through a lot three years ago...a big guy stood outside my school every morning and made me laugh. He believed in me then. He supported my ideas and he let me find my own way. That man was Dan Decker. He means more to my son, my husband and me than I can tell you. And getting to know you, Jenni, through Bethany and Dan has been another blessing in my own life. You are beautiful...inside and out. And, that nurse was right! Dan better watch out, you do look like his daughter. But we think he's pretty gorgeous, too. All our love////Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete